Step Sisters - Movie Review

I was reluctant about the movie Step Sisters for two reasons; the first was I had seen Stomp the Yard and did not feel like step movies were my thing and secondly I find political correct movies to be an acquired taste and I am rarely in the mood. But I caved in and put it on Netflix for Amber (Alessandra Torresani) looked cute with her blond hair.
The movie is about a young black (girl of colour or what the hell) sorority girl Jamilah, who tries to get accepted to Harvard. When a friends sorority house, which is mainly very white, gets in trouble, the dean forces Jamilah to teach them how to step. The white girls get better and the black girls feels betrayed and Jamilah's live changes drastically.
The movie is cute and really happy go lucky, a real teen chick flick but with a comment on culture appropriation. The step dance is fine, still not sure it is my thing, but it is not bad. In fact it is a good movie with a good dance movie plot. The choreography is good but it got a bit of the same problem I did not like in Stomp the Yard; the sound of the claps and stomps does not always feel like it fits to the movement, the background music cancels out some of the stomps and the clipping is fast and loose in some of the step scenes which makes it hard to see if they actually are good dancers or they just have a "good" clipper. But like Mean Girls makes me want to wear pink on Wednesdays, this movie makes me want to call Koala Ah ah ah. Step Sisters is fresh and cool like Mean girls and can be a future cult film. I'll give it four stars, for being an overall good dance movie, even compared to non-dance movies it is still good.

Comments